Re: $$ looking for a WEB DATABASE PROGRAMMER $$

From: Thomas Koell <koell_at_sf.com>
Date: 1996/09/25

We have programmed two applications for intranets, one of those comes quite near to that what you want.

> What I am interested in:
>
> 1) the function of userids/passwords, public users searching registere
> users data,

That's exactly what we do in one of the applications which is a kind of product catalogue.
We also have a tool running under CA-OpenRoad for administrating the users and to control what was entered.

> 2) security -- no security leaks or loopholes

The whole thing is as secure as the connection between browser and WWW-server. It is possible to spy out passwords using tools like tcpdump if you are really connected to the line between both. This is the same security as an rlogin from/to your site.
If that's not enough, it would be no problem to use a WWW-server with RSA-cryptography (eg from Netscape), but there's no freeware server with this feature as far as I know.

> 3) efficiency -- because of the large number of people that will be
> accessing the web page, I want the database system as efficient as
> possible.

Our tool is connected to the database using the ESQL-interface, that means database query functions are directly compiled into it. I think this is a quite efficient way.
The rest depends on the hardware you use and on the quality of your internet connection. I think each modern computer will bring down even a fast connection.

Thomas Koell

Thomas Koell, Software Factory GmbH, Muenchen Tel.: +49 89 32350131
E-Mail: koell_at_sf.com
WWW: http://www.sf.com

In article <Pine.OSF.3.95.960924183146.7969A-100000_at_bay>,