Re: Converting MS Access to Oracle

From: Brian M. Biggs <bbiggs_at_cincom.com>
Date: 1996/09/25

Brian M. Biggs wrote:

> I have a utility called 'Oracleizer for Access' that was included on the
> Oracle Developer Conference CD-ROM from February 1996. It is a fairly
> well-written utility that helps you convert your Access application to
> Oracle.
>
> We have recently started to convert one of our Access-based applications
> to Oracle, and I used this utility. We are converting only our data
> structures to Oracle, not the code. It seems to perform the conversion
> OK, but I can't get it to produce any DDL scripts that I can use to
> create the database. It only produces Access-type reports that are not
> in an easy-to-use format. The documentation says that DDL scripts are
> supposed to be generated, but it doesn't seem to work.
>
> Does anyone know what could be wrong? I am using Oracleizer for Access
> v1.00c - 16. Is there a more recent version that fixes this problem?

Well, I was able to get Oracleizer for MS Access v1.03 (the latest version) from my Oracle representative. It works much better than the 1.00 version I had. It generated the scripts with only a few problems. The problems were fairly minor and easily corrected. Overall, it is an excellent utility. I highly recommend it. We only converted our database, so I can't comment on how it treats converting the application code.

I did have a problem running it on Windows 95. I ended up running it on a Windows 3.1 machine, and everything was fine.

Unfortunately, the Oracleizer for MS Access is not redistributable. Contact your Oracle representative to get a copy.

Regards,
Brian

--
Brian M. Biggs				mailto:bbiggs_at_cincom.com
Cincom Systems, Inc.			voice: (513) 677-7661