Re: Export/Import for defragmentation

From: Ian Sparkes <sparkes_at_primenet.com>
Date: 1996/09/24

> 1) Is there a means of determining the extent of fragmentation?

Select * from dba_extents;
  With a little filtering, summing and select of the appropriate columns this will show you the fragmentation

> 2) Should I use export/import to defrag the database?

This will depend on you environment. It is certainly the easiest way but you need to evaluate how long it will take for data on your system I use the assumption that import will take about 3x the time of export. Also it depends on how long the window is you have.

> 3) Is there a better way?

Better, hum ! I'd say use exp/imp unless it won't fit. If this is the case then the solution get more complex and might involve creating tables (e.g.. create table x as select * from y), truncating x, adjusting storage params on table and indexes the inserting x from y.

But as I said this much more involved and I'd need to spend some time on a solution.

The first thing I'd do is adjust storage param (on T & I) to stop fragmentation getting any worse while I think. Received on Tue Sep 24 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message