Re: Oracle 7.3 and forms 3 - Supported or not?

From: M.Rapier <M.Rapier_at_shef.ac.uk>
Date: 1996/09/24

In article <51quvs$qlk_at_lantana.singnet.com.sg>, engsys_at_merlion.singnet.com.sg says...
>Charles Jardine (cj10_at_cam.ac.uk) wrote:
>: Mike Rife wrote:
>: > Forms 3.0 cannot access Oracle 7.3. Forms 3.0 access Oracle via SQL*Net
>: > version 1. Oracle 7.3 supports SQL*Net V2 only. Thus, Forms 3.0 cannot
>: > access 7.3.
>: Nonsense. Forms 3 can use SQL*Net version 2. If it doesn't work with Oracle
>: 7.3, it must be for some other reason.
>
>I dont understand why forms3.0 requires sql*net in the first place.
>Forms 3.0 is not a client/server front end. Both the forms and database has
>to be on the server. If there is any one who says forms 3.0 can connect
>to a database on different machine ???

As various other people have pointed out, it is very common, mainly for load balancing - stick your database on one (or several) machines & put the applications on other ones. We've got Forms running on Sun SS1000s & Workstations accessing databases both on the same machines and remotely on a range of others including a dedicated SC2000 database server.

As we've discovered that one of our Forms applications uses no less than 14Mb of swap space, then it is a pretty damn good reason for isolating from the database (time to strip out all those user exits left from F2.3).

The only problem with 7.3 is that Forms 3.0 is no longer supported or supplied, but if you've already got it installed, no problem - the Forms base tables are maintained when you upgrade & you just need to copy & relink the Forms 3.0 stuff from your 7.2 installation. None of this is supported by Oracle of course, as they want us to chuck away all our old apps. & migrate to Des/2000. Not so easy when you've got hundreds of Forms and 80% of your users still running on 386's.

Cheers.
Martin. Received on Tue Sep 24 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message