Re: ORA-00376 File cannot be read at this time (system tablespace datafile _at_ shutdown)

From: SRTOPE <srtope_at_aol.com>
Date: 1996/09/23

Must be something going around. We got the same the same message Sunday morning at shutdown time, also on a system datafile. Bounced the database twice with no apparent problems but then monday morning we saw something else for the first time. We tried to grant select on a table to a user and all the users who were using that table got stuck, and the grant command was also stuck. When the grant was cancelled, all users were freed. Other tables could be granted with no problem. We could replicate the problem for about an hour . Fear of system table corruption set in, but then the problem cleared up. No trace files were created. I was looking for something from smon or pmon. Coincidence or trouble?

Exports can detect corruption. Can startup do it? What are other reasons for an ORA-00376 besides file offline? Running a full export tonight to check it out.

Rock Tope
Albuquerque Technical-Vocational Institute rock_at_tvi.cc.nm.us
srtope_at_aol.com Received on Mon Sep 23 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message