Re: SQL*Forms 3.0 *** Is it a CLIENT/SERVER Front End ???

From: <mlanda_at_vnet.ibm.com>
Date: 1996/09/23

In <525hlh$a6a_at_lantana.singnet.com.sg>, engsys_at_merlion.singnet.com.sg (Singapore Airlines Ltd) writes:
>George Xu (George_Xu_at_Nt.Com) wrote:
>: Of cause Oracle Forms V3.0 can be a C/S tool, which depends on your
>: configuration, if you are using the form through Sql*Net, you are
>: under C/S envirment. A C/S solution is not necessary a GUI based front
>: end.

>: Regards
>: George
>
>I think i could not make myself clear, but what i wanted to
>know is "Can SQL*Forms 3.0 run on a machine without Oracle installed
>on it. If so I would like the configuration"
>Say for example.
>
>Can I run SQL*Forms on a Pc without oracle installed on the pc. Meaning
>I dont have an oracle database installed on pc. Can I install just
>the SQL*Forms 3.0 and connect to Oracle DB on a Unix box using SQL*Net.

Yes, just install the Forms 3.0 Runtime support (Forms Development if developing) and Sql*Net on the PC (of course you will also need a TCP/IP package installed for the OS you are using as a client).

>Do I have to have oracle DB on the PC where i have to store the tables
>required for SQL*Forms 3.0.

No, the actual database does not have to be on the PC. Just connect to the host DB using Forms/Reports/Sqlplus and SqlNet. The tables you are referring to would be stored in the host DB on your unix box.

>Hope I made it clear.
>
>Prasad.

M.Landa Received on Mon Sep 23 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message