Re: user privileges

From: Tony Marsh <tony.marsh_at_mail.sema.co.uk>
Date: 1996/09/17

Kevin Carter wrote:

> We have been using one of the other database products for several years and are in the
> process of migrating to Oracle. One of the many issues to resolve is user / developer
> privileges or the lack there of.
>
> Historically developers have had the 'create table privilege'. The results of
> developers having the 'create table privilege' is a very denormalized database which is
> unmanageable.
>
> I am interested in learning from the past and not letting history repeat itself. I'm
> also interested in learning from your experience.
>
> How do you handle privileges for users Vs developers?
> Do you allow developers to create tables? If not, how do you handle the addition of
> objects into the database? What privileges do you grant to developers?

Most of these issues are not technical, a designated DBA role with appropriate create
privileges and the working practices to support this would be ok. ORACLE roles can be used to effectively group users, privileges on database objects
can then be granted to the role rather than the individual user (reducing admin).
There is no real reason why developers should get different treatment !!!!!
Using a tool (Designer/2000 ?) to track both production and development systems
can be useful, especially in large, fluid teams. Received on Tue Sep 17 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message