Re: [Q] When do I need backup? Give me your worst story

From: Campbell White <Preveal2_at_vni.net>
Date: 1996/09/12

Almut Herzog wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am investigating a backup strategy for our database (15 tables with
> many inserts, deletes, updates, selects; no table with more than 10000
> rows. The number of rows is constant over the day, i.e. there are as
> many inserts as deletes)
> and I wonder what horror scenarios I should plan for. I need high
> availability of the database.
>
> In plain words: What can and will go wrong at a database installation
> site?
> Harddisk crash? DB crashes caused by what? Please give me your latest
> horror.
>
> TIA,
> Almut (al-her_at_sectra.se)

Almut,

For a thorough overview of backup & recovery methodologies, try downloading a copy of "Reveal for Oracle: Administration". Reveal not only addresses backup strategies, but also prescribes the steps for several backup and recovery scenarios. You will also be able to view a backup strategy decision flow diagram to help you in your planning.

You can download Reveal free from the RevealNet website (http://www.revealnet.com)

Best wishes,

Cam White
RevealNet, Inc. Received on Thu Sep 12 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message