HP-UX running out of Processes : ORACLE??

From: Eric Meier, DBA <eric.meier_at_cho.ge.com>
Date: 1996/09/11

Hello all,

Recently our HP 9000 server has been running out of processes. We are

running ORACLE 7.1.4 on HP-UX. The parameter for the number of processes

permitted per user was set at 128 process. Upon speaking with the HP

support, the FIRST question they asked was 'Are you running Oracle on

this machine?'!.
(I'm not the Unix admin so I apologize if I had make any errors in my description).

He suggested that we increase the # of processes per person, but he also

mentioned that ORACLE acquires processes and tends to not let them go.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is this a fault in ORACLE, or bug, or

just the way things are? Is there anything I can do on the ORACLE end?

I'm a new DBA, so any assistance/insight is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance! Received on Wed Sep 11 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message