Re: HP-UX running out of Processes : ORACLE??

From: Allan Hicks <ahicks_at_acsatlanta.com>
Date: 1996/09/11

Eric Meier, DBA wrote:

 <snip>

> Recently our HP 9000 server has been running out of processes.

<snip>

> Has anyone else had this problem? Is this a fault in ORACLE, or bug, or
>
> just the way things are? Is there anything I can do on the ORACLE end?

<snip>

        Please forgive me if I turn out to be all wet on this one.

I haven't run out of processes, but I've had a bunch of processes named:

     oracleSID(DESCRIPTION=(LOCAL=YES)(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=beq)))

in my ps list on HP-UX 9.04 and HP-UX 10.10 with Oracle sever 7.1.6. They
appear to be orphaned server clients. At least that's what I gathered from
Oracle support. These guys hang around forever and waste processes. SQLDBA
session monitor shows them as inactive sessions. I believe that they were
created when I was debugging some of my apps and terminated without disconnecting
from the server nicely.

        Could it be that you have some apps that are breaking their Oracle connection?

-Allan Hicks Received on Wed Sep 11 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message