Re: Experts only: Extent sizes

From: Liam McCauley <Liam_McCauley_at_QSP.co.uk_at_>
Date: 1996/09/10

In <SCHLUETE.96Sep10113028_at_deneb.informatik.uni-hannover.de>, schluete_at_deneb.informatik.uni-hannover.de (Axel Schlueter) writes:
>Hi Gurus,
>
>whenever I try to create a table with INITIAL = 16K, Oracle allocates extents
>with 20K. My blocksize is 2K, I got this behaviour on ORACLE 7.1.3 and 7.3.2.
>
>As far as I see, Oracle always allocates multiples of 5 Blocks, but I haven't
>found anything in Oracle's documentation or white papers.
>
>Any suggestions?
>
>TIA
Similar behaviour is mentioned in the book Oracle Performance Tuning, by Peter Corrigan & Mark Gurry. There is a note under Setting PCTINCREASE in Chapter 11 which says:
"Note that Version 7 rounds each NEXT extent up to the nearest five blocks." No mention is made of INITIAL extent.

I hope you don't mind me replying, since I wouldn't class myself as an expert, but I thought this reference might be useful to you.

Cheers,
Liam

--

    Liam McCauley                Email: Liam_McCauley_at_QSP.co.uk