Re: Experts only: Extent sizes

From: Michael J. Hillanbrand II <mjhii_at_pop.erols.com>
Date: 1996/09/10

Axel Schlueter wrote:

> Hi Gurus,
>
> whenever I try to create a table with INITIAL = 16K, Oracle allocates extents
> with 20K. My blocksize is 2K, I got this behaviour on ORACLE 7.1.3 and 7.3.2.
>
> As far as I see, Oracle always allocates multiples of 5 Blocks, but I haven't
> found anything in Oracle's documentation or white papers.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> TIA
>
> Axel Schlueter
>
> schluete_at_informatik.uni-hannover.de

you are correct. This is the designed behavior. Bob Manieri of Ford Electronics informed me of this back with 7.1.3. He warned me to always remember this in my calculations.

Michael J. Hillanbrand II                            Dulcian, Inc.
                   Oracle Data Base Administration
Voice: 215-773-7307                           Fax:    610-277-2966
mailto://mjhii_at_erols.com  or    mailto://mjh_at_salts.icpphil.navy.mil
              Delaware Valley Oracle Users Group, Inc.
                http://www.oug.com/OUG/DEVOUG/
Contact me for Newsletter ads, articles, book reviews & Website Info.