Re: Oracle on Digital Unix RAID

From: George Mathew <mathew_at_polaris.fccc.edu>
Date: 1996/09/10

In article <50cg3v$jju_at_raptor.centroin.com.br> lsrelac_at_pobox.com writes:
> Hello,
>
> I'm a DBA for an Oracle7 Enterprise based on a Digital Unix v3.2C with
>Digital Storage Works RAID system. Currently, we have four 2.1 Gb
>disk. One disk is out of RAID, and the others three are on RAID 5.
>
> My question: Which are, if this configuration, the best file disposal
>of data datafiles, index datafiles, system datafiles, log files,
>control files and archive log destination.
>
> If I bought one or two more disks, do you advice me to put them on or
>out of the RAID?
>

> Thanks,
>
>--
>Luis Santos
>Relacional Consultoria
>Rio de Janeiro - Brazil

We use RAID 5 on Digital Unix 3.2C with the SWXCR RAID. One full RAID5 partition is used for SYSTEM tablespace, data tablespace, temporary tablespace, rollback tablespace, control files and log files. However, copies of the control files are maintained on other disks also. If you are putting the disks for Oracle use, you are better off putting the disks on the RAID5 as it can keep the system going even if you lose one disk.

George Mathew
Fox Chase Cancer Center.
g_mathew_at_fccc.edu Received on Tue Sep 10 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message