Re: SMP & threads for SQL queries

From: bill davidsen <davidsen_at_tmr.com>
Date: 1996/09/10

In article <322CA463.549E_at_segel.com>, Mike Segel <mikey_at_segel.com> wrote:

| Linux is good for a home hobby system. Like FreeBSD.
| But to risk a business on it?

Risk how? That you would risk profit from controlling costs.

| You would be better off getting a real OS like Solaris.
| Or even (ick!) SCO.

SUpport 'em both. SCO has been less trouble.

| Then run a real database like Informix.

I love people like you. They buy top price commercial stuff, pay me to install it, and have to pay me to run it because they can't justify the $1k or so to buy all the manuals you will ever need.

| Yeah, you can do some hacks to get it to work, but its like
| buying a used bus held together with bailing wire. The money
| you save up front, you spend in repairs.
|
| Just my $.02.

Cheap as half the price.

--
	-bill davidsen (davidsen_at_tmr.com)
"As a software development model, Anarchy does not scale well."