ORA_06108 ERROR ON SQL *NET ORACLE

From: K. Srinivasa Murthy <murthyks_at_me.iitb.ernet.in>
Date: 1996/09/09

Suggestions are invited in tackling the following error. ORA_06108 ERROR ON SQL *NET ORACLE
I got this problem while creating the database links to access the remote database and oracle shows the message " Connect to host failed".

Thanks in advance,

|         KATTA SRINIVASA MURTHY           |
|  E-mail: murthyks_at_agni.me.iitb.ernet.in  |
|__________________________________________|
 to plating solutions
> and their resulting deposits. Any information in regards to these >
> would be appreciated.

Dear friend,

        There's an excellent (and brief) discussion of Pourbaix (potential-pH) diagrams, including uses and abuses, in the classical book by Bockris and Reddy

J.O'M. Bockris and A.K.N.Reddy, "Modern Electrochemistry", Vol.2, Plenum Press (1970), pp.1121-1123 and 1281-1285.

Workers in the fields of corrosion, electrometallurgy, electrocatalysis, electroplating, etc. often quote these diagrams when referring to which reactions are possible and which ones aren't in a given system.

Main problem with Pourbaix diagrams is that people often try to use them beyond their scope. They are a useful thermodynamic tool and should not be used to try to predict reaction rates or anything to do with electrochemical kinetics.

A second point to keep in mind is that the relevant pH values are those present at the reaction site, and these may be different from the pH of the bulk solution.

From long experience, I would say that in industrial electrochemistry, once you sort out your thermodynamics from the appropriate Pourbaix diagrams, you should then look into your kinetics using kinetic diagrams (e.g. Evans diagrams).

Best of luck to you.

			Luis Cifuentes
			University of Chile