Re: database link over ODBC?

From: Terry Stover <tstover_at_amd.com>
Date: 1996/09/09

Antti Järvinen wrote:

> I'm a little green to this and this may sound very simple but:
> Is it possible to establish a database connection between oracle7.2 running
> in NT and a non-oracle DB that does ODBC? I'm looking for something similar
> as database links between native oracle databases so that I could (for
> example) log to oracle database and do select to this non-oracle DB.

 I assume the non Oracle database is a desktop application, not another server. We have used Microsoft Access as a front end to Oracle for reporting and a couple of minor applications. You can attach Oracle tables/views in your Access application and they appear just like any other table. Performance is a bit of a problem since Access likes to run everything on the desktop. I've only used Microsoft Access with Oracle, but I'm guessing any of the major ODBC compliant players (FoxPro, Paradox, etc.) also will work.   If you want to connect 2 different server based DB's, I assume you have to buy one of the various gateway products. We're only using Oracle (via snapshots), so I don't have any experience in this area. Received on Mon Sep 09 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message