Re: SMP & threads for SQL queries

From: Van Scott <scottv1_at_airmail.net>
Date: 1996/09/04

In article <322C8566.3382B8E3_at_fc.net>, linas_at_fc.net says...

>Hi,
>
>Can anyone recommend an sql server that supports SMP
>(symmetric multiprocessing) & threads for queries?
>
>We are looking at buying a 2-way or 4-way pentium pro,
>and running linux on this. It seems that the popular
>(i.e. cheap) linux databases (msql, justlogic, empress)
>may not support this. clearly, its a waste to buy an
>MP system if the databases won't make use of the extra
>processors. The database would be mostly queried, and
>very, very rarely updated.
>
>Anyone with experiences, please report ...
>
>Also, what is the largest database anyone has run
>under linux? More than a few gigs? What's the largest
>amount of real memory anyone has used? Has anyone
>attempted to plug in 512 meg of simms, or more into
>a linux box?
>
>--linas
>linas_at_fc.net

Hi Linas.
Sybase SQL Server supports SMP boxes under all major flavors of UNIX (Solaris, HP-UX, AIX, etc) The SQL Server is also multi-threaded--tho these are not native OS threads.

Sybase SQL Server won't run on Linux as far as I know, tho I have heard ideas about using Sybase binaries for SCO under Linux.

SQL Server under NT should make use of
multiple processors.

Is your application going to be processorintensive ?

Van Received on Wed Sep 04 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message