Re: Avoiding redo log for temporary data

From: John Verhoeven <johnv_at_acix.DIALix.oz.au>
Date: 1996/09/01

In article dated Fri, 30 Aug 1996 13:53:38 -0400, Chris White (cwhite_at_ic.net) wrote:
> Does anyone know if I can avoid populating the redo log for specific
> transactions? I have a transaction that creates a large amounts of
> temporary rows then deletes them. This is filling up the redo/archive
> logs at an alarming rate. Is there the concept of a temporary table
> (like Sybase)? Or is there a session variable I could toggle?

Instead of using 'delete from <table>' use 'truncate table <table>'. This will avoid redo log enties for the delete at least and would be quicker to delete the information.

As for not doing it on insert it can't be done.

--
 _--_|\  John Verhoeven (johnv_at_acix.DIALix.oz.au or johnv_at_DIALix.oz.au)
/      \ >>>> Writing programs in assembler is like digging post <<<<