Re: EASy question : INDEX PCTFREE 0%

From: MarkP28665 <markp28665_at_aol.com>
Date: 1996/08/29

It is not a good idea to set the pctincrease to 0 for an index because Oracle need work area to handle updating the b-tree. Based on information in the Oracle Database Administrators Guide and in Kevin Loney's Oracle DBA Handbook on how Oracle handles indexes you do not need to set the pctincrease to a large number as one reply recommended.

We use 5% (4K Oracle block) on most of our indexes. If you have an index on multiple columns that gets updated a lot you may want to compare performance against a larger percentage. I owuld be interested to know if you see any significiant difference. We also preallocate 4 initrans work areas on indexes that we expect to receive above average usage, ie, heavy hit tables.

Mark Powell -- No witty disclaimer -- Received on Thu Aug 29 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message