Re: Oracle Dynamic Tables (v$...) & VB3.0 Pro & Dynaset & ODBC

From: Rick Clark <clarkr_at_flash.net>
Date: 1996/08/28

Maria Luisa Fernandez <mlfc_at_tid.es> wrote:

>Hello All!!

>I've got a problem trying to monitoring the state of an external DB like
>Oracle from VB 3.0 Pro. The problem is :

>- I want to access from VB3.0 to the dynamic tables of Oracle (v$...)
>using ODBC.
>- I want to create a dynaset and show the values of the fields in
>a form.
>- After a short period of time, I rewrite these values into the form
>to reflect the changes that other users (in this case Oracle) do to the
>records existing in my dynaset.

According to the help file, the dynaset stores the keys to the data, and fetches the data only when the field objects are referenced. That is why you don't see the changes. Since you are using ODBC you cannot use a table object (which I think reflects the changes made). You cannot create a table object on the attached table either.

You will have to periodically refresh the dynaset, maybe using a timer. If you come across a better answer let me know.

Thanks.

Rick Clark
clarkr_at_flash.net Received on Wed Aug 28 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message