Re: SET SERVEROUTPUT ON doesn't work

From: Arif Zaman <azaman_at_ibm.net>
Date: 1996/08/28

In article <1996Aug26.202247.3964_at_nosc.mil>, ewingcb_at_nosc.mil (Craig Ewing) says:

>What you need to do is provide a parameter value. Try --
>DBMS_OUTPUT.ENABLE(1000000);
>
>>I'm new to Oracle and PL/SQL, and was writing a simple procedure, when I
>>decided that I'd like to see some debugging type info. I tried the
>>DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE and that didn't compile, so I tried DBMS_OUTPUT.ENABLE,
>>and that didn't work either. I then tried SET SERVEROUTPUT ON, and that gave
>>the following message:

>>SQL> set serveroutput on;
>>ERROR:
>>ORA-06550: line 1, column 19:
>>PLS-00201: identifier 'DBMS_OUTPUT.ENABLE' must be declared
>>ORA-06550: line 1, column 7:
>>PL/SQL: Statement ignored

>>So, what gives? This is supposed to be a "standard" Oracle function/package,
>>isn't it? If anyone out there has any ideas, I'd be glad to hear them.

>>Thanks!

Hi Craig

It seems to me that your oracle database may have been installed in a piece meal fashion. The fact that you can not run the above procedures  indicates that these procedures do not exist in your database. This is what you need to do to get all these sorted out:

  1. Connect to SYS account and run catalog.sql. This will take time but install all the available options.

       or
  2. Connect to SYS account and run dbmsotpt.sql . This will create

      all the necessary procedures and functions that are required for
      the thing you're trying to do.

  Good Luck

Arif Received on Wed Aug 28 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message