Re: Can I do a system call (unix call) from pl/sql

From: g wayne nichols <gwn_at_cyber2.servtech.com>
Date: 1996/08/25

In <321DDB60.16FD_at_ix.netcom.com> Loyal Barber <lbarber_at_ix.netcom.com> writes:

>1. Set up a daemon that wakes up about once every minute and looks at
>dbms_pipe to see if jobs need to be run.
>2. From your pl/sql submit jobs to the daemon using dbms_pipe.

>you will need to read the documentation on dbms_pipe to get the full
>effect, but this allows a pl/sql block to talk to the daemon which in
>turn can execute anything on the unix box.

If you want to avoid the delay in response caused by sleeping for 1 minute, have the daemon wait for an alert instead. Then after the pl/sql is done writing to the pipe, send the alert to wake up the daemon.

Computer General		Rochester, NY			(716) 436-6372
      "... providing general computer solutions to specific business problems"
                              gwn_at_servtech.com