Re: Can I do a system call (unix call) from pl/sql

From: Loyal Barber <lbarber_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 1996/08/23

Lianyi Zhu wrote:

> Hi Gurus:
>
> I am new to pl/sql programming. I need to call a C/PERL/SHELL program
> from PL/SQL. Can I do it? How?
>
> Your help is greatly appreciated.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Lianyi
I will give you the pat answer and as yet the only one in wide use though rumor has it that 7.3 has a direct way of doing this. 1. Set up a daemon that wakes up about once every minute and looks at dbms_pipe to see if jobs need to be run. 2. From your pl/sql submit jobs to the daemon using dbms_pipe.

you will need to read the documentation on dbms_pipe to get the full effect, but this allows a pl/sql block to talk to the daemon which in turn can execute anything on the unix box.

Loyal Received on Fri Aug 23 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message