Re: 7.3.2 installation on Solaris 2.5 problem

From: Chris Jones <cjones_at_wishful.au.oracle.com>
Date: 1996/08/16

Vladimir Stavitsky <vlads_at_lvalue.com> writes:

> today i went through my second installation of Oracle 7.3.2
> on Solaris 2.5.

> The only problem is an error message i get when i start
> sqlplus. This error does not prevent sqlplus from doing all the
> regular stuff correctly, but i am still worried if this thing is
> going to backfire later on. Here's this error message:
>
> Error accessing package DBMS_APPLICATION_INFO
> ERROR:
> ORA-00900: invalid SQL statement
>
> Error accessing package DBMS_APPLICATION_INFO
> You may need to install the Oracle Procedural option
> SET APPINFO requires Oracle Server Release 7.2 or later

You are correct saying that SQL*Plus will do it's normal stuff despite this error. However, since this is a 7.3 db you should have the DBMS_APPLICATION_INFO package, and it should work. Try calling the package "manually" in a PL/SQL block (see the Tuning Guide for info on this package):

  begin
    dbms_application_info.set_module('Manual test', NULL);   end;

I expect this will fail with the same ORA-900. Try running dbmsutil.sql within svrmgrl to fix the immediate problem. However, it sounds like the install is not complete and Support may advise you to run some more or all of the data dictionary scripts again.

Chris Received on Fri Aug 16 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message