7.3.2 installation on Solaris 2.5 problem

From: Vladimir Stavitsky <vlads_at_lvalue.com>
Date: 1996/08/14

Hi, everybody;
today i went through my second installation of Oracle 7.3.2 on Solaris 2.5. My first installation was rather smooth, but it was on my own host which i control completely. This second installation was pretty rough.

Finally we installed everything, and all stuff appears to be working. The only problem is an error message i get when i start sqlplus. This error does not prevent sqlplus from doing all the regular stuff correctly, but i am still worried if this thing is going to backfire later on. Here's this error message:

Error accessing package DBMS_APPLICATION_INFO ERROR:
ORA-00900: invalid SQL statement

Error accessing package DBMS_APPLICATION_INFO You may need to install the Oracle Procedural option SET APPINFO requires Oracle Server Release 7.2 or later

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

I have couple more questions. I am a newly converted to Oracle Sybase DBA, so sorry if these are FAQ or something.

  1. In this Oracle DBA Handbook their very first example of Oracle installation requires 12 disks. Later on they go up to 15 or close to that. Is this normal for Oracle? I used to run production midsize Sybase on 4 disks and it was pretty happy.
  2. There are 2 steps in Oracle Web Server configuration during Oracle installation; the first one creates a user, and the second one creates a listener. I do not understand why they need a listener if their web server is already running?

Thanks a lot

... occurrences like this will be few and far between ... vlads_at_webvalue.com Vlad Stavitsky vlads_at_lvalue.com