Re: E-Mails

From: <Lance.Humpert_at_mail.tju.edu>
Date: 1996/08/15

Loren Davidson writes:

> ...Apparently
> "host" is a SQL*Plus command, and won't compile under PL/SQL. If there's
> something I've been doing wrong, and it really *does* work, I invite anyone
> with a successful experience at this to write & let me know.

True. The 'host' command is not recognized within a PL/SQL block. I was able to get SQL*Forms and SQL*Plus to both generate e-mail messages, but not from within a PL/SQL block.

If you have to resort to using Oracle's solution, you may want to look into the DBMS_MAIL public package. According to the documentation, any Oracle tool that can call stored procedures can call the send mail procedure. The catch is that it works in conjunction with Oracle*Mail. Whether or not you have Oracle*Mail installed, you should have the install script for the package in '~oracle/rdbms/admin/dbmsmail.sql'. Check it out, and if it looks like it does what you need, maybe Oracle*Mail is worth the investment.

  • Lance