Re: successful migration from client/server to 3 tier systems ?

From: Dave Murphy <dmurphya_at_cix.compulink.co.uk>
Date: 1996/08/15

> # Microsoft has been posting some phenomenal numbers
> # (like 5676 tpm-c under a simulated load of 5000 users) without
> # the aid of a TP monitor. It seems to me that the claim that
> # 2-tier doesn't scale is starting to look awfully thin.
>
> Now, I don't like to dispute the merits of Microsoft's
> technology. So let's say that those numbers are bona fide.
>
> Now let's see a show of CIO hands who'd be willing to put
> their paychecks on the line to implement a real system
> expecting these numbers. Next, a show of senior engineers'
> hands who'd put their paychecks on the line to work
> on that project.

several customers using tools from the company I work for have built systems for 1500+ users using 2 tier client server architectures. Two tier is ok,if the right tools are used, if designs are good. These systems have been built using os/2 or win nt linking to IBM mainframes.

Dave Murphy, consultant, Intelligent Environments.

see www.ieinc.com for further info.

these views are mine and not necessarily those of my employers. Received on Thu Aug 15 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message