Re: Updating TNSNAMES.ORA/Upgrading SQL*Net

From: George Zolla <gazolla_at_nps.navy.mil>
Date: 1996/08/14

Michael Wilson wrote:

> Our organization support several applications that utilize SQL*Net to connect
> to our Oracle databases. Each application has its own instance and requires
> it own entry in TNSNAMES.ORA. Is there an automated utility that will
> insert/update entries in TNSNAMES.ORA? We are thinking about writing a small
> application to make sure that the correct entries are in TNSNAMES.ORA, but
> we'd rather use an existing utility if these is one.
>
> Also, how do you handle installing SQL*Net on the client workstations? Do you
> just have your client run the Oracle install program and hope they get it
> right? How do you handle SQL*Net upgrades? We're looking for suggestions.
> We would like to automate the procedure, where possible.
>
> Regards,
> Michael

> Michael Wilson MWilson_at_ti.com
> SG Software Solutions
> Defense Systems & Electronics (214) 575-3448
> Texas Instruments, Inc. (214) 575-2628 (fax)
I have TNSNAMES.ORA on an NT client. I am hooked to a Dec Alpha Workstation with Oracle and an Amdahl mainframe running ORACLE. Everything works very nicely. There is a SQL*NET Easy Configuration utility for NT and Windows clients that is easy to configure and change. Installation is easy. The only hard part is getting the required files. I have a CDROM titled WebSystem that has all the files needed. It has the whole Oracle7 Enterprise server on the disk also. The number to call to get the CDROM is 1-800-423-0166. We have not had any luck so far having Oracle give us easy to use installation disks even though we have a 2000 seat license.

I would suggest having the clients installed by professions. The SQL*NET configuration has some default settings that don't always coincide withthe port numbers of the servers.

Good luck!

--
George Zolla   gazolla_at_nps.navy.mil
(408) 656-3397 (DSN) 878-3397