Re: Updating TNSNAMES.ORA/Upgrading SQL*Net

From: David J DeWolfe <sxdjd_at_orca.alaska.edu>
Date: 1996/08/14

Greetings all;

Michael Wilson wrote:

> Our organization support several applications that utilize SQL*Net to connect
> to our Oracle databases. Each application has its own instance and requires
> it own entry in TNSNAMES.ORA. Is there an automated utility that will
> insert/update entries in TNSNAMES.ORA? We are thinking about writing a small
> application to make sure that the correct entries are in TNSNAMES.ORA, but
> we'd rather use an existing utility if these is one.

Well, there is the netman application which is a motif application with sqlnet release 2.1, and a windows app with sqlnet release 2.2. It comes with the Oracle sqlnet distribution, and/or the System administration tools for windows cd.

> Also, how do you handle installing SQL*Net on the client workstations? Do you
> just have your client run the Oracle install program and hope they get it
> right? How do you handle SQL*Net upgrades? We're looking for suggestions.
> We would like to automate the procedure, where possible.

The majority of our clients are served the Oracle tools off of Novell file servers. I'm not involved to much with the client side (aside from providing the sqlnet connectivity), but I believe that there were just a few files identified as having to live on the client's local hard drive as opposed to living on a network drive. Also, we use Oracle Names so that we can add/move/rename databases etc without having to redistribute tnsnames.ora.

--

David J. DeWolfe
Systems Programmer

In a vicious struggle for survival intelligence emerges as the weapon of
 choice. - Nova, In Search of Human Origins