Re: Upgrade Oracle, break your makefiles...

From: Tim Irvin <irvin_at_lmsc.lockheed.com>
Date: 1996/08/09

In article <3209eb68.1123866_at_dcsun4>, tkyte_at_us.oracle.com wrote:

> Here is the best way I know of creating a portable and upgradeable makefile:
>

> ------------------ proc.mk --------------------------------
> $(TARGET): $(SOURCE) $(SOURCE:.pc=.c) $(SOURCE:.pc=.o)
> $(CC) $(LDFLAGS) -t -o $(TARGET) \
> $(SOURCE:.pc=.o) $(PROLDLIBS)
>
> include $(ORACLE_HOME)/proc/demo/proc.mk
>
> PROFLAGS= ireclen=255 lines=yes $(PROC_ENV_FLAGS) \
> include=$(ORACLE_HOME)/proc/lib
> CFLAGS=-I. -g $(CC_ENV_FLAGS)
>
> You fill in the SOURCE= and TARGET= in the makefile to specify what .pc files
> make up the project and what the executable name should be.

This is close to what I already had. I just changed the order of the link libraries listed in $(TTLIBS), and then /bin/ld didn't have any problems with it.

I only found this because I managed to hack together a makefile that worked, and I wanted to compare it to the "production" makefile we were using on this program under Oracle 7.0.16. The only difference (after changing $ORACLE_HOME to 7.2.3 on the copy of the "production" makefile) between the two were the order in which some of the things like -lora, -lnlsrtl3, -lc3v6 and so on appeared in the command line. That's it. Changing the order of these in the makefile gave me a clean compile. Picky, these things are...

--
Tim Irvin, HP-UX Miracle Worker and Oracle Guy
Lockheed Martin Missiles and Space, Sunnyvale, California