Upgrade Oracle, break your makefiles...

From: Tim Irvin <irvin_at_lmsc.lockheed.com>
Date: 1996/08/07

    Now that our export problem is out of the way in upgrading from Oracle 7.0.16 to 7.2.3 in an HPUX 9 environment, we need to fix at least one program which uses the OCI.

    The linker, /bin/ld, comes back with many new unresolved symbols which were never a problem under 7.0.16.

    Here's a sample of the unsatisfied symbols:

lxmcpcx, lxhcrenv, lxlsaved, lxmopen, lxmcpen, ....

There are about 50 unresolved symbols in all. Maybe there are new libraries we have to use? The documentation I saw might be good for gurus, but for someone who has just been thrust into this role rather suddenly, well, I don't know what to do....

Actually, I can still compile if I set $ORACLE_HOME to the old 7.0.16 stuff, and it runs fine under 7.2.3, but this is not an acceptable long-term solution.

--
Tim Irvin, HP-UX Miracle Worker and Oracle Guy
Lockheed Martin Missiles and Space, Sunnyvale, California