FORMS 4.5: Multiple Select, Mouse, Keyboard Q's

From: Bill Messick <bmessick_at_clark.net>
Date: 1996/08/07

According to the calendar, it's about time for my monthly stupid Oracle question, so here goes:

I'm developing a form that allows a user to build a list of numbers by making multiple selections from a longer list of choices:

  • ------------
    | 111111 | ---------- | 555555 |
    | 222222 | | Add > | | |
    | 333333 | ---------- | |
    | 444444 | | |
    | 666666 | ---------- | |
    | | |< Remove| | |
    | | ---------- | |
    | | | |

Thanks to an earlier posting (and DejaNews!) I learned how to use the WHEN-MOUSE-CLICK trigger along with the DISPLAY_ITEM built-in and SYSTEM.MOUSE_BUTTON_SHIFT_STATE to enable multiple selection by control-clicking. So the user makes his selections with the mouse and clicks an "ADD" button to add them to the list of choices. I want them to be able to use the keyboard too: select a number with the arrow keys, and press enter to add it to the list. That's working, except for the "press enter" part. I've defined a KEY-ENTER trigger, but it doesn't fire. If I get that working, the next step would be multiple keyboard selections with shift-up arrow and shift-down arrow. And finally, let the user make selections by dragging the mouse down the list.

So I've got 3 questions:

  1. Does the KEY-ENTER trigger work, and if not, is there a way to fake it? I'd prefer to use the enter key for this, instead of something less intuitive.
  2. Can Forms be made to recognize shifted arrow keys?
  3. Can Forms do mouse down-drag-mouse up selections?

Any answers, pointers, hints would be much appreciated.

Bill Messick Received on Wed Aug 07 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message