Re: Help: how to interpret constraint errors?

From: Michel Lalonde <michel.lalonde_at_sit.ulaval.ca>
Date: 1996/08/06

In article <32027583.766D_at_concentric.net> Alastair Gregory <agregory_at_concentric.net> writes:
>From: Alastair Gregory <agregory_at_concentric.net>
>Subject: Help: how to interpret constraint errors?
>Date: Fri, 02 Aug 1996 17:39:15 -0400

>Hello, Oracle gurus!

>Can anyone tell me how to take an ORACLE 7 error message
>such as

>ORA-02291: integrity constraint (userid.SYS_C002776) violated -
>parent key not found

>and map the code SYS_C002776 back to identify which field
>(in the table being inserted into) is the one which fails
>the constraint check, and which table holds the (missing)
>parent record? I know the answer is somewhere in the system
>tables, but I don't know enough about them :

We name all our constraints so we dont have any SYS_C... errors

EX: for a foreign key our standard is FK_TABLE1_TABLE2 so the message will be:

integrity constraints (userid.FK_TABLE1_TABLE2)

So we know what is the problem.
the source and the Received on Tue Aug 06 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message