Help: how to interpret constraint errors?

From: Alastair Gregory <agregory_at_concentric.net>
Date: 1996/08/02

Hello, Oracle gurus!

Can anyone tell me how to take an ORACLE 7 error message such as

ORA-02291: integrity constraint (userid.SYS_C002776) violated - parent key not found

and map the code SYS_C002776 back to identify which field (in the table being inserted into) is the one which fails the constraint check, and which table holds the (missing) parent record? I know the answer is somewhere in the system tables, but I don't know enough about them :(

Please mail any hints to: gregorya_at_iia.org or agregory_at_concentric.net

Thanks!!
Alastair Gregory Received on Fri Aug 02 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message