Re: Informix: First impressions

From: Nils Myklebust <Nils.Myklebust_at_ccmail.telemax.no>
Date: 1996/08/01

aak2_at_Ra.MsState.Edu (Atif Ahmad Khan) wrote:

:After trying the Oracle trial versions on NT and Solaris x86
:I am completely disgusted with the product and the company
:(they cant even write install scripts without making blunders)
:and looking for a better solution.

:Someone over the usenet recommended Informix. I looked at their
:home page and was a little disappointed. No On-line Store (like
:Oracle has) for me to purchase products or literature for beginners.
:Worse, no trial version of any products (like Oracle has) ! I mean
:who wants to spend thousands of dollars on a product and then say
:ooops ?

There will shortly be a downloadable version of OnLine Workgroup Server for Windows NT.
Otherwise you can contact the nearest Informix office to get a trial version of any of their products.

:Also looking at the web pages I couldn't tell if this product was
:available for Solaris_x86. It probably is there but wasn't anywhere
:obvious and I didn't want to wade through tonnes of "my database is
:better than your database" stuff.

Very understandable (although it *is* better). The OnLine engine (and perhaps SE as well) is available for Solaris x86 but I don't know which version. You would have to actually talk to Informix. That's bad, but that's the way it is right now.

You do also want to look into Illustra and Universal Server. That's a real revolution going on in the database industry now, and something you can't get anywhere but from Informix. It's likely to take the others years to get to the level these products represents.

Nils.Myklebust_at_ccmail.telemax.no
NM Data AS, P.O.Box 9090 Gronland, N-0133 Oslo, Norway My opinions are those of my company Received on Thu Aug 01 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message