Re: Informix: First impressions

From: T. M. Gray <tgray_at_siri.com>
Date: 1996/08/03

Nils Myklebust wrote:

> aak2_at_Ra.MsState.Edu (Atif Ahmad Khan) wrote:
>
> :After trying the Oracle trial versions on NT and Solaris x86
> :I am completely disgusted with the product and the company
> :(they cant even write install scripts without making blunders)
> :and looking for a better solution.

> :Someone over the usenet recommended Informix. I looked at their
> :home page and was a little disappointed. No On-line Store (like
> :Oracle has) for me to purchase products or literature for beginners.
> :Worse, no trial version of any products (like Oracle has) ! I mean
> :who wants to spend thousands of dollars on a product and then say
> :ooops ?
>
> There will shortly be a downloadable version of OnLine Workgroup
> Server for Windows NT.
> Otherwise you can contact the nearest Informix office to get a trial
> version of any of their products.
>
> :Also looking at the web pages I couldn't tell if this product was
> :available for Solaris_x86. It probably is there but wasn't anywhere
> :obvious and I didn't want to wade through tonnes of "my database is
> :better than your database" stuff.
>
> Very understandable (although it *is* better). The OnLine engine (and
> perhaps SE as well) is available for Solaris x86 but I don't know
> which version. You would have to actually talk to Informix. That's
> bad, but that's the way it is right now.
>
> You do also want to look into Illustra and Universal Server. That's a
> real revolution going on in the database industry now, and something
> you can't get anywhere but from Informix. It's likely to take the
> others years to get to the level these products represents.
>
> Nils.Myklebust_at_ccmail.telemax.no
> NM Data AS, P.O.Box 9090 Gronland, N-0133 Oslo, Norway
> My opinions are those of my company

"*IS*" better is a matter of requirement. If you have a highly distributed environment with requirements for trigger based replication, Informix *is not* better, as there is no such thing. If you have multi processor systems that are used together (not partitioned) it *is* better.

We in our field should try to stop painting with too broad a brush. We all have our pet technologies, but we should try to paint a picture of technology based on the required focus, not our petting zoo. Received on Sat Aug 03 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message