Re: Is there a way to encrypt data within tables?

From: Randy Dewoolfson <randyd_at_cais3.cais.com>
Date: 1996/08/01

kat (admin_at_vdoj.vic.gov.au) wrote:
: One of our users has a requirement to store data in Oracle in encrypted
: form, the idea being that only the application can view the information.
: Even DBA's should not be able to view the raw data directly from the
: tables.
: Does Trusted Oracle do this, or is there a product out there which can
: accomplish it?

: Thanks,

: Andy Horne

Andy:
Are you talking about text only? or text and numbers? dates too? How secure does the data need to be? Is it ok if the same algorithm is able to read any random row? what if the algorithm is discovered? Someone might be able to read the data! do the tables themselves need to be encrypted? can someone figure out some secrets by looking at the table structures and counting the rows? maybe some dummy rows should be inserted and some fake tables created. maybe the column names should be named to totally random things so those intruders can't figure them out.

maybe you'll get a system nobody can work on, maintain, or use.

trust your employees. use good passwords. don't mess with the data.

If it is one field (like a password or something) then use a small subroutine to encrypt it, and one to decode it, but don't do this for every column.

Randy :)

--
  .?$" '?i     .                              I  Randy DeWoolfson  I