Oracle clients via NFS - how much needs NFS-exporting ?

From: Richard Lloyd <rkl_at_csc.liv.ac.uk>
Date: 1996/07/31

Does everyone who runs an Oracle server also NFS export all their Oracle partitions so that users can remotely run the Oracle clients ?

In other words, how much of the Oracle server/client distribution do I need to NFS-export so that the clients (including Developer/2000) work ? The whole of $ORACLE_HOME and $ORACLE_DOC ? Just $ORACLE_HOME/bin ?

In an ideal world, I'd like the Oracle server machine NOT to NFS-export anything and just copy the appropriate binaries/config files to another NFS server. However, I have a horrible feeling that this is going to be a nightmare because $ORACLE_HOME/bin now holds a confusing mix of 200 client and server binaries ! Plus I have no idea how much of the $ORACLE_HOME tree the clients need to see...

Richard K. Lloyd,           E-mail: rkl_at_csc.liv.ac.uk
Connect,                       WWW: http://www.csc.liv.ac.uk/users/rkl/
5-31, Great Newton St,
Liverpool University,
Merseyside, UK. L69 3BX Received on Wed Jul 31 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message