Re: Does Session End When Forms App Crashes?

From: Steve Cosner <stevec_at_zimmer.CSUFresno.EDU>
Date: 1996/07/29

In article <Pine.HPP.3.92.960729091733.17383A-100000_at_yosemite.ecst.csuchico.edu>, Steven J. Weisser <weisser_at_ecst.csuchico.edu> wrote: <snip>
>When my Win3.1 Forms 4.5 application crashes in the middle of a
>transaction (i.e., I get a GPF when a row is locked for update, but not
>yet commited), the row(s) that were locked remain locked in later
>sessions. The row(s) are released by the next day, but this is
>unacceptable.
>I know that each time a user logs on to Oracle a unique session is
>initiated, I believe that when my app crashes the Oracle session is not
>being terminated, but I'm not sure if this is the case or what to do
>about. Any help would be appreciated!
>
>-Steve

You are correct, and this IS the case. I have experienced the same thing. However, your app should not crash, once you have worked out all the bugs, so the situation should not occur very often for the users. If it does, and the rows must be unlocked soon, then the DBA must locate the dead session and kill it.

Hope this helps,
Steve Cosner
(from CSU Fresno, by the way) Received on Mon Jul 29 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message