Re: Does Session End When Forms App Crashes?

From: Ken Mizuta <kmizuta_at_jp.oracle.com>
Date: 1996/07/29

Steven J. Weisser wrote:

> Hello and thanks in advance.
>
> I'm an Oracle newbie building an application using Dev/2000 and Oracle
> v7.1.6.2.0. My problem is this:
> When my Win3.1 Forms 4.5 application crashes in the middle of a
> transaction (i.e., I get a GPF when a row is locked for update, but not
> yet commited), the row(s) that were locked remain locked in later
> sessions. The row(s) are released by the next day, but this is
> unacceptable.
> I know that each time a user logs on to Oracle a unique session is
> initiated, I believe that when my app crashes the Oracle session is not
> being terminated, but I'm not sure if this is the case or what to do
> about. Any help would be appreciated!
>
> -Steve

When Dev/2000 crashes, it takes a little while for the Oracle processes on the server side to realize that it has crashed. I believe there is something
called the expired_time that you can set up for your listener which sets up
the interval in which the server side processes basically ping the client to make
sure that it is still alive.

The only other way that I can think of is to figure out which session was being used
by the Dev/2000, and killing it using
alter system kill session '#,#';

                 /    Kenichi Mizuta
      ////      /     Oracle Corporation (Redwood Shores, CA)
     |0 0|     /      Applications Division
_ooO_ \U/_Ooo_/       email: kmizuta_at_us.oracle.com
The comments and opinions expressed herein are mine and
do not necessarily represent those of Oracle Corporation.