Re: Loading Access data directly into Oracle

From: Edward Leibnitz <leibnitz_at_interport.net>
Date: 1996/07/25

chuckh_at_dvol.com (Chuck Hamilton) wrote:

>ae244_at_FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Gilles Vautour) wrote:

>>We need to move data from ACCESS to Oracle. I know we can do it via
>>SQLLoader, but is there some way to do it directly, without having to
>>code control files for a few hundered table definitions?

>1. ODBC... but it'll be much slower than SQL*Loader.
>2. Have access create a flat file of INSERT's. This'll be just as slow
>though.

>If you're just moving the tables from one DB to another, SQL*Loader
>really is the way to go. Direct path loads fly!

>The control files aren't all that difficult if you're just simply
>rest are easy. You might even be able to write a program in Access
>that'll create the control files for you.

>I worked with a consultant once who said Er/Win can create SQL*Loader
>control files too. If you have Er/Win you can reverse engineer the
>tables from Access and create the control files automatically.

>Hope this helps.
>--
>Chuck Hamilton
>chuckh_at_dvol.com

>Never share a foxhole with anyone braver than yourself

You know .... we had to move 150 DBF (DBASE and CLIPPER) files to the ORACLE7 awhile ago .....SQL*Loader scripts are too laborious

I bought an excellent product called Data Junction (Tools &Techniques)

The company is in Oklahoma.

EXCELLENT product

-Ed
Edward Leibnitz
N. Y. C. Department of Sanitation
Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences

e-mail leibnitz_at_interport.net

       leibnitz_at_cims.nyu.edu

Home Pages: http://www.inteport.net/~leibnitz

            http://www.math.nyu.edu/phd_students/leibnitz Received on Thu Jul 25 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST