Oracle install says not enough space on 4GB drive

From: Atif Ahmad Khan <aak2_at_Ra.MsState.Edu>
Date: 1996/07/24

I am using Solaris x86 and have recently downloaded the trial version of Oracle from their home page. When tried to install Oracle looks at my hard drive and says there isn't enough hard disk space under /opt for me to install oracle under
/opt/oracle7

I think Oracle's not using a very good way of checking free disk space. As my current df -k gives me the following :

# df -k

Filesystem            kbytes    used   avail capacity  Mounted on

/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0 192423 15973 157210 10% /
/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s6 481083 324680 108303 75% /usr
/proc 0 0 0 0% /proc
fd 0 0 0 0% /dev/fd
/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s5 3076641 1191475 1577506 44% /opt
swap 213556 3100 210456 2% /tmp

When I tried to install Oracle opt was only 15% full. After Oracle install script said there was not enough free space I copied over more than 1GB of junk under opt to see if it would go there and sure enough , no problems. There is still more much more than enough space available in there but Oracle wouldn't install. Interesting this is, Oracle will install itself under the root partition /oracle7 happily, but I dont want it to go there.

Any ideas on what could be wrong ?
Thanks.

Atif Khan
aak2_at_ra.msstate.edu Received on Wed Jul 24 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message