Re: Oracle 7.2 with Delphi 1.0 is VERY slow. What to do?

From: Ravi Rai <ravirai_at_winternet.com>
Date: 1996/07/23

Jarkko Nikulainen wrote:

> In article <4sdfh0$2mu_at_news2.intrepid.net>, jasonk_at_bibfile.com says...
>

> >An Oracle native driver comes with Delphi 1.0 Client/Server. We use
> >this with Oracle 7.2 and its speed is good. Note that you may have
> >to change the "vender init" parameter in the BDE for it to find the
> >Oracle DLL. Borland calls these native drivers "SQL Links". They
> >will install automatically with Delphi C/S if you do a full install.
> >

> Thank you Jason for this tip. I found that native driver but I have some
> difficulties making it work. I have ORA7WIN.DLL as VENDOR INIT parameter.
>
> What should the SERVER NAME parameter in BDE setup be? Is it server's IP
> address or database alias determined in Oracle SQL Net 2.2. Neither one seems
> to work. I get ORA-03121 error. What version of SQL Net do you have?
>
> Thanks again!

You might have to try various combinations for the server name. THere are notes available from Delphi developers. Check that out (Sorry I do not remember the filename off my head).

If it helps you here is what I have for my BDE settings:

Oracle Driver Config:

VERSION: 1.0
TYPE: SERVER
DLL: SQLD_ORA.DLL
VENDOR INIT: ORA7WIN.DLL
DRIVER FLAGS:
SERVER NAME: win_nt
USER NAME: tst_usr
NET PROTOCOL: TCP/IP
OPEN MODE: READ/WRITE
SCHEMA CACHE SIZE: 8
LANDRIVER:
SQLQRYMODE:
SQLPASSTHRU MODE: SHARED AUTOCOMMIT
SCHEMA CACHE TIME: -1 ALIAS CONFIG.

TYPE: ORACLE
PATH:
SERVER NAME: win_nt:rtst -- Format: <servername>:<sid> USERNAME: tst_usr
NET PROTOCOL: TCP/IP
OPEN MODE: READ/WRITE
SCHEMA CACHE SIZE: 8
LANGDRIVER:
SQLQUERYMODE:
SQLPASSTHROUGHMODE: SHARED AUTOCOMMIT
SCHEMA CACHE TIME: -1 Note: you will have to try out different forms of the server name as per the notes such as <server>:<sid>

        t:<server>:<sid>
also try out the ip address of the server. Bit of trial and error and I hope you will overcome the frustation. We did :-)

Ravi Rai Received on Tue Jul 23 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message