Re: Oracle DRDA gateway

From: David Summers <summersd_at_teleport.com>
Date: 1996/07/16

In article <31EB6F71.3698_at_adam.com.au> Dean Gawler <dgawler_at_adam.com.au> writes:
>Date: Tue, 16 Jul 1996 21:01:13 +1030
>From: Dean Gawler <dgawler_at_adam.com.au>
>Newsgroups: comp.databases.oracle
>Subject: Oracle DRDA gateway
>.au!news.
>mel.aone.net.au!eden.adam.com.au!

>Hi All,

>We are looking at technologies that enable an Oracle 7.1 database (on
>IBM RS/6000 running AIX 3.2.51) to seamlessly access data in an MVS/DB2
>database on an IBM mainframe.

>We need Oracle applications (Forms 3/4.5 and Pro*C apps) to be able to
>select, update, delete, and create records on the DB2 database, but
>THINK that they are only accessing an Oracle database (ie. TOTALLY
>transparent to the application). Any complex configuring that must be
>done the DBA is ok, as long as the solution works.

>Specifically, has anyone used Oracle's DRDA gateway (which is designed
>to do this type of thing) to access data in an DB2 database on an IBM
>mainframe from an Oracle database on a UNIX host ?

>If so, can you tell me about any known problems, limitations,
>"gotch-ya's", etc... In otherwords, give me the low down on it ??

>Any help would be much appreciated.

I have not used the DRDA gateway, but i have used the transparent gateway to DB2. It will allow you to do all DML statements in Oracle (not DB2) syntax, but DDL needs to be done in DB2, We have used the gateway as a window into DB2 for query processing, but if you have moderate transactional needs, updates should pose no serious problems. The gateway requires an oracle kernal to run: you should be able to use the one you have on AIX, but there are pretty strict requirements to keep the 'coordinating' kernal and gateway versions in sync. We have not had much admin problem: you just need to keep dblinks in sync with whatever you mainframe security system is, and keep alias/views/synonyms pointing to the current version of the DB2 tables. Performance is mostly dependent on the quality of your DB2 system and the SQL*net throughput. Once a connection is open data transfer pretty quickly. We can pump about 2M/min per thread through SQL*net ( your mileage may vary). If you ban scanning and have tight sql you should expect your limitation to be the DB2 processing itself.

feel free to email for more details

David Summers
Pacificorp
summers.j_david_at_deps.ppl.com(w)/summersd_at_teleport.com(h) Received on Tue Jul 16 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message