Re: Delphi 2.0 vs. Powerbuilder 5.0

From: Chris Asano <casano_at_borg24.jsc.nasa.gov>
Date: 1996/07/15

Michael,

I can agree that a number of the GPF's in PB can be attributed to less than optimal use of the tool. However, I've seen so many crashes when doing gui design, which I can not attribute to errors on my part in the usage of PB or lack of technique. Many times, I just generate the ascii export of the gui object and edit that file to make gui changes. This is in the design of the gui view for a datawindow. So there is only gui content involved, no windows api or other code involved. When problems start, I reboot Windows, and open only PB and the datawindow painter to keep things as simple as possible.

Any helpful suggestions on this would be appreciated. In general, I found only a few problems that occured from programming PB, other operator error. And the bugs I do run into are a pain more than a show-stopper, since the ascii export always works. Besides I find it more time efficient to do some of the fine-tuning of the gui screens through ascii editor with a mass search and replace routine.