Re: Year 2000

From: Thomas J. Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1996/07/15

On 13 Jul 1996 17:40:00 GMT, "Paul Smith"<psmith_at_sprynet.co.uk> wrote:

>> Massive disclaimer on: I am not saying in any way shape or form the above
>> requested statement is true.... or false...
>>
>> If you are talking about the database, it doesn't rely on the system clock for
>> anything. It uses an internal clock (SCN = System Commit Number) that doesn't
>> care about the system clock at all.
>>
>> What other product are you interested in.
>>

>> Thomas Kyte
>> Oracle Government
>> tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
>>
>> http://govt.us.oracle.com -- Check out our web site! Brand new, uses Oracle Web Server and Database
>>

>> -------------------
>>
>> statements and opinions are mine and do not necessarily
>> reflect the opinions of Oracle Corporation
>>

>I know what the SCN is, but I have no idea what that has to do with the format and content of Oracle date columns.

It has nothing to do with the format and content of Oracle Date columns, the original question (included in my posting) was:

>> >Does anyone know if Oracle is or claims to be year 2000 compliant;
>> >i.e. when the date is 01/01/00, will all Oracle provided programs
>> >including internal system routines and application callable routines
>> >function correctly?

They were not necessarily asking about the date column (internal system routines would I think pertain to the operation of the database itself).

Thomas Kyte
Oracle Government
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com

http://govt.us.oracle.com -- Check out our web site! Brand new, uses Oracle Web Server and Database

statements and opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Oracle Corporation Received on Mon Jul 15 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message