Re: Migrating ORACLE from Dev to Prod

From: Richard Cronau <saeinc_at_haven.ios.com>
Date: 1996/07/14

I agree with the comments regarding the SYS and SYSTEM tables. However, with regard to the remaining tables, you have a great deal of dependencies between the tables, and if you are not careful, then some of your constraints will be violated. Furthermore, all of the customizations need to be maintained, as well as the numerous stored procedures and triggers. BTW, what version of Financials are you working with? Where are you located? If you would email me with more particulars, perhaps I might be able to help.

Best of luck,

In article <4s7rjc$mcr_at_newsgate.dircon.co.uk>, vanj_at_dircon.co.uk says...

>Scott D. Lockhart <102154.3320_at_CompuServe.COM> wrote:
>
>>I am presently working at a client site where we are running
>>ORACLE Financials with ORACLE RDBMS 7.1.6, on an HP T520 running
>>HP-UX 10.10. We are approaching the time to move a significant
>>amount of development data (all of 1995 and 1996 data to date)
>>from a Development database instance to our Production database
>>instance on a separate database server.
>>The question I have is this:
>>How do you go about moving all of your Financials data, when the
>>size of an full export exceeds the maximum file size that your
>>operating system allows?
>>We have experimented with the concept of doing the 5 separate
>>exports, as follows:
>>1) Export of structure only.
>>2) Export of GL.GL_JE_LINES.
>>3) Export of GL.GL_BALANCES.
>>4) Export of all other tables in the GL schema.
>>5) And finally, an export of all other schemas other than GL
>>(including SYS and SYSTEM).
>>While these exports get us below our maximum file size of 2 GB,
>>we have a real concern about the order in which to run the
>>subsequent imports (other than importing structure first).
>>We are especially concerned with whether or not to import SYS and
>>SYSTEM objects. Any suggestions?
>>Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
>>Scott D. Lockhart (Clear Perception, Inc.)
>Since IMPORT will recreate most of the objects you want, I would NOT
>import SYS and SYSTEM schemas. God knows what you would do to the
>dictionary. I would suggest trying it out on Personal Oracle first!
>You will probably have to create all your tablespaces on Prod first,
>before importing.
>
>Cheers
>
>Pete

=====
Richard J Cronau
Principle
System Architects & Engineers, Inc.
saeinc_at_haven.ios.com
"Helping make client/server work for you"
=====