Re: web and databases

From: Randy Jordan <rw_jordan_at_interramp.com>
Date: 1996/07/13

In article <31E68E4F.74F7_at_stanford.edu>, Bill Tierney <wtierney_at_stanford.edu> wrote:

> > > Anyways, I suggest Sybase. Sybase has a product called web.sql that is for
> > > web integration. Also, as a web server, I suggest Netscape Commerce
 Server,
> > > as it has all the security and encryption it appears you desire built in.
> >
> > I can second that. WebSQL + the Commerce server makes for a very
> > well-behaved combination, and has the advantages of being based on
> > well-known languages (Perl, SQL)
>
> Ya but..
>
> They only had a sun version for a year...
> I'm told they'll never have an AIX version
> ..this after stringing me out for a year..
>
> The NT version is Alpha..
>
> Take a look at:
> http://www.sybase.com/products/internet/websql/faq.html#Q2.1
>
> and see what platforms they support..
> If you're not running sun ..get use to waiting..

Our Sybernet system for connecting Sybase operates from a http server running either Solaris with a Netscape/CERN/NCSA http server, or Mac 7.x OS running Webstar http server. The database can be on ANY platform. So if you have a spare Mac, or a small Sun acting as your Web (http) site, you can connect it to your Sybase SQL server on you AIX platform, or HP-UX or Solaris or Digital Unix (OSF-1) etc...

come try a demo on a sun system using a netscape server at

http://spacely.sri.com/netscape.html

or on a 8100 Mac running Webstar at

http://sybernet.sri.com/

RJ

Randy Jordan                                 Senior Systems Analyst
                                             SRI International
(408) 735-1175                               (415) 859-4625
rw_jordan_at_interramp.com                      rjordan_at_unix.sri.com
                                             http://mis.sri.com/rjordan/