Re: a comparison of different databases

From: Andy Trick <atrick_at_prominic.com>
Date: 1996/07/13

In message <4rj66m$d0i_at_netaxs.com> - troy.sorzano_at_ipu.com (Troy Sorzano)Fri, 05 Jul 1996 16:42:07 GMT writes:

>>1) The association is not big, so I think that the number of PC
>>clients will never be larger than 20-30.
>
>Use Watcom SQL Anywhere Perfect for small databases/users
>
>>2) Simplicity to manage the database is an important issue. The
>>association has not specialized people except for
>>me and I am not sure that it will want spend too money for other people
>>in the future.
>
>Watcom SQL Anywhere is real easy to use
>
>>4) Branch offices are small and will require only one or two Pcs.
>>However, I cannot connect them by a dedicated phone line (too
>>expensive). It would be useful a simple mechanism to replicate data and
>>to syncronize the databases every night by a communtated phone call.
>
>Watcom SQL Anyhwhere was designed for replication and such.
>
>>few memory and to support Windows 95, Windows 3.1 .... Pheraphs in my
>>case, I could use Anywhere in branch offices and Sybase SQL in main
>>office. Sybase products are cheap, expecially Anywhere. Of corse they
>>lack of some feature with respect to Oracle, but what about Sybase SQL
>>server with respect to Microsoft SQL server?
>
>I wish I could use SQL Anywhere but I cant. Download the demo version
>from the sysbase/watcom web site.

Everything, you say is true. But reliability is still an issue for offices with under 30 clients.

Watcom SQL (I used v4.0) was as simple as it gets. I could tell from the begin that it was a shoddy program, but thought that it would at least RUN no matter how poorly. I got it all set up, completed most of the development...then, as soon we started using it with real data: CRASH. Watcom didn't last through the first week of real use, and the support was TERRIBLE. So we looked like fools switching almost immediately to DB2/2, but it has payed off tremendously: DB2/2 has not gone down ONCE in an entire year of continuous use.

Despite Watcom's simplicity, DB2/2 is in fact much more elegant.

atrick_at_prominic.com http://www.prominic.com Prominic Technologies, Inc. Received on Sat Jul 13 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message