Re: MVS and large database

From: <vanj_at_dircon.co.uk>
Date: 1996/07/13

>Joel Garry (joelga_at_rossinc.com) wrote:
>>In article <4r6d08$39d_at_news00.btx.dtag.de> willyk_at_t-online.de (Willy Klotz) writes:
>>>For a new project I was discussing the db-requirments with a customer.
>>>
>>>They told me that they ORACLE on MVS, and it does perform
>>>significantly slower compared to DB2. They want to do heavy online
>>>actifity, in the range of over 200000 transactions per day.
>>>
>>>The database size is nearly a terrabyte.

>>I read in Computerworld that TRW credit data gave up trying to figure out
>>how to make Oracle do this.
>>>
>>>Anyone out there who can comment on this ? Are there really
>>>significant problems with databases this size ?
>>>
>>>What database would you choose for such a environment ?
>>>
>>>Willy Klotz

Willy,

I would think about the following:
Oracle has a much greater functionality than DB2/MVS. Are you using it?
Oracle has better connectivity. Again, are you using it? DB2 for MVS is faster in most cases and has better backup/recovery and data management (for example online reorg). DB2 for MVS was designed to run solely on MVS and therefore has obvious advantages (like taking advantage of I/O prioritisation in DFSMS, HIPERPOOLs, etc). You could also take advantage of separate bufferpools and data sharing if you are going SYSPLEX.
Alternatively, why not migrate your Oracle database to a different platform? Have you thought about DEC Alpha or an SMP system? I think you will struggle to make Oracle perform on MVS. We tried and failed, and ended up moving some data to DB2 and splitting the rest between 2 servers and using a gateway between Oracle/DB2.

Good luck, and let me know how you get on.

Cheers,

Pete Received on Sat Jul 13 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message